Injuries to the neck’s nerves are incredibly complex. If the nerves of the seventh vertebra are affected, for example, they send reflective impulses to the brain. When the muscles and nerves of the neck contract because of injury, they compress nerves in the brain, causing dizziness and migraines.
The cause of the ailments can be of two types: sudden or caused by the harmful practice of activity for some time. In the case of sudden, these occur because of a single action, such as a hit, a fall, a traffic accident, or some sudden movement made with the head.
In the case of injuries due to prolonged actions, these are the leading causes that can cause ailments in the cervical area:
- Keep your head in a stooped posture forward or a strange position when working, watching television or reading.
- Sleeping with a pillow that is too high, too flat or where the head does not rest well; or sleeping on your stomach with your neck twisted or bent.
- To spend prolonged periods with the forehead in rest on the fist or the arm in a vertical position ("the thinker"), or in some other lousy position like being with the phone held between the head and neck.
- Tension may cause the muscles that extend from the back of the head to the back of the shoulder (trapezius muscle) to feel stiff and sore.
- Work or exercise that uses the upper body and arms.
- The use of a wrong kind of shoes.
How to cure neck injuries
Conditions in the cervical area usually heal in a relatively short period. First of all, if your damage comes from some unexpected effect such as an accident, it is best to go to a specialist. If you need neck injury doctors in Naples, Choice Medical Center offers you the best team of professionals in the specialty.
If instead, your injury is the product of some prolonged effect, the first thing you should do is correct the bad habit (or change your pillow or shoes, for example). These are the main simple therapies that you can perform to alleviate the condition:
- Application of ice or cold compresses: The cold allows a reduction of the inflammation of the area, thus making it possible to heal.
- Application of heat: The heat attracts the nutrient-rich bloodstream to the area to stimulate a healing reaction.
- Over-the-counter medications: Taking anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, will reduce inflammation, thus allowing a reduction in pain. You can also take analgesics, such as acetaminophen, that reduces the perception of pain.
- Massages: A gentle massage will stimulate the blood flow in the area, thus facilitating its healing.
What to do if the pain persists?
In the case of stronger pain or stiffness, if the symptoms persist more than a couple of days, or if the neck disturbance comes with pain, numbness or tingling of the arm, it is usually advisable to go to a medical professional, such as a chiropractor or a primary care doctor. Choice Medical Center offers you the best neck injury doctors in Naples, so if you need assistance, do not hesitate to contact us. We have the best doctors and physiotherapists in the region waiting to assist you.neck injury doctors in Naples