Scaling and root planing procedures remove plaque, tartar (calculus), and bacterial toxins (biofilms) from tooth surfaces below the gumline. Only a trained Dental Hygienist or Dentist is able to complete this vital dental service.
At Absolute Dentistry, we recommend patients visit the clinic for scaling and root planing twice-a-year – or more, depending on your individual health needs. The frequency of your visits is determined during your checkup with the Dentist and after an evaluation by your Dental Hygienist.
During your visit, we will evaluate the following:
- Examine jawbone levels with digital x-rays
- Measure the depth of periodontal pockets
- Check for loose teeth or bleeding gums
- Remove plaque or tartar above and below the gum-line
- Talk with you about the effectiveness of your home-care
- Perform an oral cancer screening inside the mouth and the tissues of the head and neck